Burton Latimer banner
Burton Latimer on Facebook Burton Latimer on Twitter
 

Ironstone workers, Burton LatimerHistory / part 2 - 19th century economic development

By the time the Common Land on the Wold was enclosed in 1805, the area was in an economic depression. Agriculture was not flourishing; lacemaking and weaving were also in decline.

Ironstone quarrying

The major changes came about fifty years later, with the arrival of the railway - which connected Burton to London and the industrial midlands. Then, large ironstone deposits were found in the district and quarrying began around the village.
» Find out more about the ironstone mining from Burton Latimer Heritage Society

From quarrying to light-industry

In the last part of the 19th century, two new industries arrived. By 1885, the first four clothing factories had opened, followed in 1898 by the first shoe factory, and Burton grew rapidly to become a small, thriving light-industrial town.

Around its edges, the quarrying carried on, until the pits were worked out in the early 1920s. Some extraction of limestone and clay still went on in the northwest of the town, on the area now occupied by Morrison's distribution centre. By the early 1980s however, it was over.

External links...»
» Burton Latimer Heritage Society
Back to Top