Burton Latimer banner
Burton Latimer on Facebook Burton Latimer on Twitter
 

Burton Latimer HallHistory / part 1 - early days

Burton Latimer started as a small settlement alongside what was to become the main road from London to Carlisle. It was first mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but before the Norman Conquest it was known as 'Burtone'.

Ancient history

There is some archaeological evidence of previous activity in the area during the Bronze Age, the Iron Age and the Roman period. At the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, Burton was held by Guy de Raimbeaucourt, and a mill is recorded beside what is now the Weetabix site.

Lords of the manor

Over the following centuries the manor became divided into two holdings, eventually passing to the Latimer family, based at what is now the Hall, and the Plessey family at what is now the Manor House next to the church. The holdings were united in the 1760s but the title of Lord of the Manor was not unified until the 19th century.
» Find out more about the manors from Burton Latimer Heritage Society
External links...»
» Burton Latimer Heritage Society
Back to Top